Benefits of Staying Engaged As You Age
Retirement as we know it is changing. People are living longer, healthier lives, which means retirement should be a thoughtful part of our plan. Seniors have incredible experiences and talents they have accumulated over the years, and experts say the best thing they can do is stay engaged and share their experiences with others. Studies show that staying engaged contributes to our overall well-being and happiness.
Staying engaged can mean so many things, but it’s so much more than reading, puzzles, or taking on a new hobby! Being truly engaged means using those talents to do things like volunteer, teach others, and make meaningful connections with like-minded people that share in something we care about.
Take a look at our top five reasons to not just stay involved, but stay engaged as you age:
1. Mental health and mood – Being engaged has shown to have a positive effect on mental health and mood. Studies suggest that isolation as we age is one of the leading factors in depression or decreased happiness in seniors, however, positive connections with others can lead to increased mood and overall mental health.
2. Cognitive function – Engaging with others has also shown to have a positive effect on cognitive function. Studies show that seniors that stay engaged, tend to perform better on cognitive and memory tests, and may also decrease the risk of Alzheimer’s and memory related diseases.
3. Physical health – As it turns out, staying engaged affects more than just the mind and our mood. When we stay engaged with others, the body notices this positive effect and is said to release chemicals that help keep the immune system functioning well. It looks like connecting with others can help us keep those sick days away.
4. Meaning and purpose – More than anything else, studies show that individuals that feel a sense of meaning and purpose, live longer healthier lives. Although joining a gym, or a card club can potentially be the beginning to fostering meaningful relationships, it’s suggested that a lot of this meaning comes from being engaged with things we truly believe in or feel a sense of fulfillment from. This can come from things like volunteering or using talents that we have to help and share with others.
5. Community – Often times, being engaged can lead to joining a community of like-minded people, or fostering a sense of community with a group. Feeling surrounded by people that can provide social support and connection is incredibly important to our overall wellbeing.
At Robson Reserve, our goal is to create a community of wellness. We encourage our residents to stay engaged and offer social clubs and opportunities for them to do so. To learn more about our activities, wellness programs, and additional ways we keep residents engaged, visit www.RobsonReserve.com or call 623-440-6800.
Robson Reserve Amenities Spotlight – Movie Theater
One of our most popular amenities at Robson Reserve is the on-site movie theater. The beautiful and spacious theater features a large screen, luxurious seats to ensure optimal comfort, and a superior sound system. For those that enjoy a snack while watching a movie, the theater’s popcorn machine is available so you can have the full moviegoing experience, without ever leaving the community.
The social committee, along with the activities’ director, get together to decide which movies to show based on residents’ preferences. Movies range from new hits to older classics, action and adventure to historical documentaries. Residents recently enjoyed a showing of the Phantom of the Opera! The layout of the theater also allows the space to be utilized as a small auditorium to host small group classes, meetings, and informational seminars.
Additional luxurious amenities at Robson Reserve include an internet cafe, bar and lounge, art gallery, game room, sparkling resort-style pool, and yoga and fitness studios. With low-maintenance living spaces, Robson Reserve residents are able to spend more time enjoying the fabulous amenities instead of keeping up with home maintenance.
Visit Robson Reserve today and discover our outstanding leasing options for independent and assisted living as well as our outstanding amenities!