Bright and early on New Year’s Day, the pickleball courts were filled with players who were getting in a few games before heading off to spend time with family and friends. The chatter between games was about making new year resolutions. We compiled a list of what we heard on the courts!
1. I will be patient.
2. I will always serve the ball deep.
3. I will return the ball deep to my opponent.
4. I will play the ball to the stronger player during social play.
5. I will always be encouraging to my partner.
6. I will be patient.
7. I will call the ball on every shot so my partner knows what I am doing.
8. I will take no winner before it’s time, but when it’s time, I will take it.
9. I will be a good communicator with my partner.
10. I will be patient.
11. I will not stick my backhand in front of my partners forehand and mess them up.
12. I will always have fun and remember pickleball is a game.
13. I will not run wildly to the net before I hit a good drop shot.
14. I will not run wildly to the net before my partner hits a good drop shot.
15. I will move with my partner like we were tethered together.
16. I will not run backwards.
17. I will follow the pickleball code of conduct and call balls “in” that I do not see as clearly being “out”.
18. I will be patient.
19. I will not coach or offer advice to others without asking them if they want my input.
20. I will not try to hit every ball hard and I will learn to dink.
21. I will remember the score during the game.
22. I will learn to hit a third shot drop shot.
23. I will practice and drill as much as I play.
24. I will always approach the net at the end of a game with a smile on my face and an outstretched paddle, win or lose.
25. I will be patient.